Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Simply Affordable: Transform turkey leftovers with curry


Let's face it, after you've spent hours of quality time fussing over that behemoth of a turkey you bought, eaten second or thirds, and then had a cold turkey sandwich, those turkey leftovers could use a makeover.

 In recent years I've taken a page from the British cookery playbook and introduced my turkey leftovers to curry. Since I'm never in the mood after the busy holidays to fuss with making my own curry paste, I use a premade paste. I'm especially partial to Thai and True's Massamun Curry Paste, a fragrant seasoning that's made locally in small batches in Lake Oswego by former Thai restaurateur Susie Kasem. A jar will cost you about $5, but you only need a tablespoon or two for intense flavor, so it's a bargain. You can find it at Whole Foods and New Seasons Market.

I make a simple base curry using this paste and pantry staples -- onions, carrots, potatoes and apple, plus a bit of broth and a can of coconut milk. I have even been known to slip in a few leftover pieces of roasted squash or sweet potatoes.

Once the vegetables are tender, I fold in the cooked turkey meat. Since dark meat can be rather rich and the breast meat tends to be drier, I use a mix of both, chopped into bite-size pieces. Just a quick simmer to heat the meat through and leftover turkey is made new again.

No comments: